Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Farmer

Hubby barely slept last night with visions of hay bales and tobacco plants dancing in his dreams. 

As usually happens on a farm everything was happening at once.  After a couple of heavy rains the ground had finally dried enough to disc the final time and the tobacco patch was ready to plant.  Naturally, the hay field in front of the house also was perfect for cutting and baling..  So while our son worked to get the tobacco ground ready, hubby had been cutting the hay field. 

The weatherman wasn't helping out.  Showers were forecast to be back on Sunday afternoon and last for the next several days.  So-o-o, it looked like they would have to work on Sunday.  With luck, they would have good weather until mid to late afternoon.   Farmers have to make a lot of compromises--one of those is to work on Sunday, if there is no other way.  (Sometimes wives and farmers disagree on the definition of "no other way".)  I just hope God is understanding about the challenges of farming.

By 6:30 Hubby was up and pacing the floor.  "I'm going to feed and turn on the water for the tobacco tanks.  I'll be right back for breakfast." he called as he left.  "Mmmmuph" I muttered from under my pillow.  Knowing he probably wouldn't be stopping for lunch, I drug myself out of bed and into the kitchen.  (No one warns women about the joys of marrying a farmer.)  By 7:30 we were through with breakfast and Hubby was hurrying to meet our son and grandson who were arriving with the tobacco plants.  Soon all three were deep into getting the equipment and plants organized to get to the patch.  By 8:30 the hands had arrived (six of the cutest, sweetest Venezuelan kids attending a nearby college.  This is the second year they have helped us out.  Great kids.) 

The plan was that Hubby would help get the tobacco setting started then go the hayfield when the dew had dried off and begin raking the hay into winrows ready to bale.  Then he would return to the tobacco patch and take over for our son, who was driving the tractor pulling the tobacco setter.  Son would then get the other tractor and big round hay baler and bale the hay.  A sensible plan.

I arrived home from church (someone had to go and pray for this day!)and a quick trip to the grocery, to find Hubby just finishing up the raking.  He took a short break to gobble a balonga sandwich and left to switch places with Son.  I left to mow the yard (another day or two and we could have just baled the yard with the hay field).  As I rounded the corner into the front yard on the mower I noticed dark clouds piling up in the south.  Opening up the throttle I copied the men and mowed as fast as I could.  I only glanced up briefly when son roared by in the ranger on his way to get the tractor and baler.  I thought we might make it when I noticed that the sky was clearing and the clouds looked to be moving away from the farm. 

On the next round I checked the sky and saw a steak of gray at the back of the cloud, extending to the ground.  It was a narrow band of rain heading right for us.  "Maybe it will miss us" I whispered, as bright skies began to appear at the edges of the cloud.  Everyone hurried harder with one eye on the sky.  The narrow band of rain began to quickly approach.  It looked as though it was no wider than the front field, surely it would miss us.  I made another turn, splat, splat, splat.  Faster and faster the fat, cold drops hit my back.  Giving up, I headed for the barn.

Within minutes the tin roof was drumming with the thunder of the rain drops pounding down.  I looked down in the valley at the tractor and the kids on the setter as they struggled to get to the end of the row. With a roar, our son headed back to help in the ranger.  The rain continued.  Soon the hay was sodden and the tobacco patch was a sea of gooey mud. 

As soon as there was a break, I dashed to the house to dig out the stack of old towels I keep for just such days. 

After the kids had cleaned up and left, Hubby returned to the house, dispirited and tired.  He was soon taking a nap on the couch. 

I got busy washing wet towels and cleaning up the mess left by muddy people.

(Girls, notice!  The farmer was sleeping while I was washing and cleaning up.)

(Maybe I should have prayed harder in church.)

(Maybe Hubby should have gone to church.)

No comments:

Post a Comment