Monday, September 29, 2014

Sorry!

Our son's three younger children came to spend Sunday afternoon with us.  The youngest, our 3 year old granddaughter, was soon settled in for a nap, while the youngest boy had wandered off with Papa to help with the afternoon chores.  I had no sooner popped a pork roast into the oven for supper when the middle boy appeared in the kitchen.  "Can we play Sorry?  Please?" 

He and I have been holding the longest running Sorry tournament in history, since we started when he was about five years old. 

He skipped Candyland as too slow and boring (I agree) and begged to play his older brother's Sorry game.  "But, Sugar, it takes a long time." I protested.  "I can do it!  I promise!"  he replied.  He couldn't read, but quickly memorized the move instructions on each card.  He knew that the 7 card could be split between two men, the 10 card was forward 10 or backward 1, and an 11 card meant he could trade places with an opponent.  At first, I tried to make sure that he had successes so he wouldn't be so frustrated but I soon got over that.  The little shark is good!!!  It didn't take him long to figure out the strategies of the game and apply them with a vengeance.  "Sorry!!" he would howl as he sent me back to start time and again.

In the ensuing three years he would beat me repeatedly and soundly!  I want to take this kid to Vegas.  He has unbelievable luck...or he's just a lot better at Sorry than his old grandma!

So, Sunday, I got down the Sorry game, cleared off the coffee table and got my most comfortable cushion.  We set up the game and put the rule card to one side.  We are serious players and refer to the rules frequently to see what we can and can't do.  Then we got down to it!  The game ebbed and flowed with him getting all his men out on the board first, then me hitting a couple of "Sorry" cards that sent him back to start.  We debated the wisdom of exchanging places if that put the opponent closer to home, counted moves to determine the best placement of our men, hoped for a "backward 4" so we could shortcut to the "safety zone" and crowed our delight at a lucky draw.  At the end of the game, to the cheering of hubby and the six year old who had returned, the 8 year old drew the perfect card and marched his last man home for victory.  Beaten again!

His younger brother immediately decided he wanted to play, too.  So we started a new game with three players (Hubby decided to watch a ballgame instead--surprise!)  The game advanced with both of us "experienced" players giving the younger one advice on moves and rules.  Again it ebbed and flowed with first one ahead then another.  The younger boy had progressed quickly to having his men on the board, when his brother drew the Sorry card.  This meant that he could come out of home, replace any man on the board and send that man back to their start.  Since the younger one had the only men on the board the decision was easy and unavoidable.  "That's not fair!" he moaned, looking frustrated.  I explained that, unfortunately, that was the rule, but his turn would come to get us back.  Then I laughed and asked him "Do you know what the name of this game is?"  He looked up at me as his brother and I both chanted, "SOR-REEY!!"  He grudgingly laughed with us and the game continued. 

At the end, all three of us were within the safety and only a lucky draw away from being the winner.  The draw had gone around and around with only cards showing up that we couldn't use.  Then it was my turn again and I drew a "split moves 7" that enabled me to move my last two men in! 

I threw up my arms in excitement. "I finally won one!!!", I crowed.  "JoJo", came the serious admonishment from the grandson, "You always tell me that celebrating your win isn't  nice!"  Shamefaced, I agreed that it wasn't nice.

But inside I was still doing my happy dance!  I'd finally beaten the little shark!

No comments:

Post a Comment