Friday, April 17, 2015

The Dairy Show

Hubby and I were talking about old times the other day when he suddenly announced that he was going home.  "Home" being the county that we both grew up in.  He wanted to visit with the man who had farmed with him from the time he was just a kid.  We are all getting older and he hadn't seen Tee for years. 

Hubby's father had worked off the farm, leaving much of the farming to be done by his three boys and his hired hand.  Tee had been helper, conspirator, companion, teacher, and friend to the boys as they grew up.  Lots of life lessons were learned  from his wit and wisdom.  Some were serious, some educational, some useful, some just downright hilarious. 

During this time the boys showed a string of Ayrshire cattle at county fairs around the area.  Since most of the dairy shows were during the week, Tee was the method for getting the boys to the shows and supplying supervision.  Later, when I came on the scene, many of our "dates" consisted of going to county fairs to show cattle.  Hubby's mom would provide a picnic lunch of fried chicken, homemade bread and butter sandwiches, homemade pickles, potato salad or canned peaches, and gallons of sweet tea.  The guys would load the show string into the back of the two-ton stake truck and we would all pile into the front seat.  By that time, Hubby was the driver, Tee rode "shot-gun" and I straddled the stick shift in the center.

Upon arriving at the fair, the guys would take care of getting the cattle ready for the show, while my job was "fixing" lunch (spreading out what Hubby's mom had packed). I was a true "townie" and was fascinated with the world of showing cattle (and the one showing the cattle).  It was a new adventure for me as I had grown up in town and had limited experience with farm life.  Tee and Hubby worked as a practiced team with Hubby showing the cows and Tee getting them to the ring.  They had a good string of cattle and there were usually some blue and purple ribbons to bring home. 

On one particularly good day, the class for Grand Champion had three Campbell Ayrshires in the ring as previous winners of their divisions.  Hubby was showing a young cow, they thought would be the winner.  Tee was leading the second cow but they didn't have anyone to show the third.  Hubby looked at me and I started backing up.  "ME?  Lead that cow?  No, I don't know how.  Get someone else."  Soon I stood at the entrance to the ring holding the lead on a beautiful red and white cow.  "I don't know what to do!" I wailed in a quavering voice.  Tee turned to me with a grin,  "Missy, that cow's been in the show ring all her life.  She knows exactly what to do.  All you gotta do is hang on to the halter and let her do her thing!"  With that I became a dairy showman...at least for a few minutes.

Hubby did win Grand Champion.  I did get around the ring without getting stepped on.  Tee chuckled and shook his head the whole time.  "Girl, you're gonna be all right!" he pronounced as we exited the ring.

With Tee's approval I knew I was accepted.  The rest, as they say, is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment