Monday, January 10, 2011

The Look

I don't do a lot of work on the farm anymore, but back when the kids were little everyone had a job. Over the years I have helped fence, bale hay, spray thistles, work cattle, tag calves. You name it and I got a chance to try it. However, one of my favorite memories came when we were showing cattle.

Show cattle are the pampered pets of the farm. The kids would get up early and let them into the barn and feed them their breakfast. Then they would tie the heifers up for an hour or two to get them used to being tied. This was essential since when we took them to shows they would be tied in the barns during the day. My job was to go to the barn after they had left for school and untie them and put them back out in the lot. Not a difficult chore if everything went according to plan.

However, we have limited barn space and hubby being one to never pass up a good opportunity, he kept adding to the morning routine. Before long I had a cow and calf to let into the barn when I let the show heifers out, so mom could have a little extra feed. This was working out pretty well, since everyone knew what they were doing and all were glad to switch places. Then he added two weaning bulls to the mix.

Now things started to get a little tricky. The cow and calf had to come in, the heifers had to go out. Then the process was repeated with the bulls coming in for a bite after the cow was penned up. Cattle are pretty easily trained with a feed bucket so most of the time the process went smoothly with everyone meekly going to their stall. Then came the morning when nothing was going right. The kids were late to school, we were rushed, I had a cold and felt rotten and had an early appointment in town. That meant that everything had to work just right or I would miss my appointment.

I went down to let the show heifers out and one of them decided that it was fun to swing her head away just as I was grabbing for her halter to slip it off. Finally, I got them hustled out and the door open for the cow and calf to come in. This morning the calf decided she wanted to go into a different stall. Then mama wanted to come with her. A little bribing and yelling finally had them contentedly munching feed in their spot. However, the clock was ticking and time was running out. Now to hurry and get the bulls in for their turn. I opened the door and the bulls run to opposite ends of the lot. Great! Trudging and fussing over the time lost and contrary males of all species, I started to gather them up and herd them to the door.

Suddenly one of the bulls dropped his head, stomped his foot and did a little "mini-charge" in my direction. Just as suddenly my control snapped. I had had it with late children, husband designated chores, feeling rotten, and especially ornery males! Without giving it a thought I stared him straight in the eye, propped my hands on my hips and gave him the "look". Yes, the "look". The same look perfected over years by mothers to quell sibling fights on the back pew in church from the choir loft. The same one that would turn a teen aged girl around and back upstairs to change clothes with no words exchanged. The look that has been used by teachers for eons to stop the class cut-up in mid-antic. Every mother has used it-- the"look" that says "You have pushed me as far as I'm going, so you'd better shape up right now!"

It seems that even bulls know the "look" because with that his head came up, he turned peacefully and walked straight into his stall. It's good to know some mothering skills are always effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment