Monday, October 17, 2011

The Adventure

I have spent the day traveling through nature's fall extravaganza in the heartland. As I have driven through Indiana and Illinois on my way to visit my daughter in Iowa, I have been visually overwhelmed with the beauty of the fall landscape. Everywhere I have looked have been fields of tan corn, the reds of flaming maples, the golds of fall flowers and highlighted here and there have been picturesque red barns against soft green fields. The only problem has been that you can't stop and take pictures on an interstate!

It takes me eleven hours to drive to my daughters and I have come to look on these trips as a special get away time for me. It's not often that I take out across the country completely on my own. Since my marriage 43 years ago, I have made most of my trips accompanied either by my husband or children. Actually, when you have family it's hard to do about anything by yourself. So this is an adventure for me. I get to stop when I need to, even if it is only twenty minutes after the last stop. If I want a frappe from McDonald's I can just stop and get it! I quit driving early enough to explore the small mall in Galesburg. Then I ordered out from Applebee's and ate watching something besides football!!!! See, it's an adventure.

This trip is a special time of "girl bonding" with my daughter. Tomorrow we will take her girls to gymnastics then the four of us will have a "girl" dinner together--probably at McDonald's. Then after a couple of days of visiting, my daughter and I are heading for Chicago for the clothing Market to purchase spring merchandise for her children's store. I can't believe how much I am looking forward to the trip. Chicago is such fun and watching your daughter function as a polished and confident buyer at market is wonderful! (My job is to carry her stuff around and take pictures of clothes so she can match tights and accessories.)

In short, if you don't hear from me for a few days, it's because I am busy having an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment