Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tractor Hunt

Hubby picked me up at the airport after I had spent a few days in Chicago helping our daughter attend the Children's Apparel Mart.  Absence does make the heart grow fonder, so I was looking forward to seeing hubby again.  When I reached the baggage claim area where he usually waits for me I was surprised that he wasn't there.  I plucked my phone out of my purse (what did we do before cell phones) and called to see where he was.  I was a little surprised to get no answer but thought he might be in traffic and unable to answer.  A moment later my phone "sang" to me.  It seemed he was waiting outside and would meet me when I collected my bag. 

I did as instructed and soon was approaching the truck where he could be seen talking to himself.  Actually, it's the new technology and hands-free calling.  He was on the phone.  A moment later he was hefting my bag into the back and after a quick hug jumped back into the truck.  We pulled out of the airport while I was bubbling with news to tell him of my trip with our daughter.  Before I could get started the phone rang.  It was one of his cronies who was in on the great tractor hunt.  It seems one had been found around Lexington, but he wasn't sure of the price.  Before that call ended another one came in.  He returned the missed call and it was a friend who was a dealer who was working on a "sweet" deal on a new tractor.  He had just hung up and I had taken a deep breath to tell him my news when it rang again.  This was another buddy who had found a tractor with 2000 hours on it but the price was right.  This continued all the way home.  It seems the tractor hunt is really and truly on.

Hubby is a very social person.  He loves people and has lots and lots of friends.  Most of them farmers or associated with farming.  It didn't take long for the word to get around that hubby was really searching for a tractor.  They all wanted to do a favor for him, plus there is nothing more fun that spending someone else's money.  So everyone and their pet duck is in on the hunt.  The phone never stops ringing with reports of tractor sightings around the state and country.  Everyone is having a wonderful time.

Last night, hubby, finally had a few minutes to talk.  He rambled on about this tractor and that one.  One has too many hours on it.  One has a part missing that is back ordered and may never come in.  One needs fenders, a buddy seat, and doesn't have a loader or hay spear.  This one has too many rust spots.  That one needs tires.  "You know," he mused, "the best deal is probably the new one.  It's not much higher and I wouldn't be paying for someone else's wear and tear."  I just looked at him. 

I can't believe how times have changed.

The tractor in question costs just slightly less than the farm did when we bought it 30 years ago, and that included the house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment