Saturday, April 20, 2013

Kentucky Bourbon

My hubby is probably the best bourbon ambassador in Kentucky.  Wherever he goes he promotes Kentucky bourbon.  When half of Iowa showed up for our daughter's wedding, he sent everyone on tours of several of the local distilleries.  (Did I mention that we live within 2 miles of Maker's Mark, as the crow flies, and there are 3 major distilleries within 20 miles, and about 6 within 50 miles?)  He then served bourbon to everyone at the wedding reception.  They all went home converted bourbon drinkers.  I am convinced somewhere there is a demographics expert scratching his head over the concave of bourbon drinkers located in Scotch and Canadian Club drinking Iowa.

As we travel, we check out the local bars to see if they are carrying good bourbon.  This usually involves some "spirited" conversations with the bartender and local patrons.  (Bermuda was the hardest place to find bourbon, that dear little outpost of England.  Ireland carried the best selection of really, really good bourbon.)  The group we travel with most has become accustomed to hearing hubby request (maybe even demand) bourbon.  I admit I am not quite as determined as he is and will try other drinks.  In fact I became quite enamored with Jameson's Whiskey while in Ireland, however it didn't taste quite the same on this side of the pond.  In fact, I am rather like a coed on summer vacation.  I flirt with others while I'm away but return willingly to my old love when I return home.

The most frequently asked question we get on our trips is, what is the difference in bourbon and whiskey?  The answer is both complicated and extremely simple - every bourbon is a whiskey but not all whiskey is a bourbon.  Whiskey is defined as a distillation primarily from corn or rye, but may be a blend of grains.  Whiskeys don't have to be aged, but some are.

I guess you might say that bourbon is a sub-category of whiskey.  While whiskey can be made anywhere in the world, bourbon must be made in America.  Also, whiskey, by definition is pretty general, bourbon is very specific.  It must be made from at least 51% corn but not more than 79%.  Although, it may include other grains such as wheat or rye.  It is bottled at no more than 80% alcohol.  (The proof number on the bottle will be about twice the amount of alcohol.)  It is then aged in new, charred oak barrels for a minimum of 2 years.  Speciality bourbons may be aged up to 20 years or longer.  (If you've got some extra cash-or a lot-try some Pappy Van Winkle 25 year old bourbon for a real taste experience.)  While bourbon can be made anywhere in the United States all but a couple are made in Kentucky.

Why is it called bourbon?  It actually is named after the county that it was shipped from, when Kentucky was just a frontier and the pioneers shipped their corn crop to New Orleans in the form of corn liquor.  The barrels of whiskey were loaded onto flatboats that took the Kentucky river to the Mississippi river (eventually) .  When they were shipped, the barrels were stamped with the place they were shipped from, Bourbon, for Bourbon County, Kentucky.  Thus the barrels were referred to as "bourbon".  Interestingly, there are no major bourbon distilleries in Bourbon Co. at this time.

Well, I have worked up quite a thirst.  I think I will head for the bar and have a little bourbon -- purely in the efforts of research, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Once again, nicely done Jo. Since moving "back home" I rediscovered bourbon and make one or more distilleries part of the Bluegrass tour for our visitors from out of state. I will, though, beg to differ on one small point. As I "instruct" our out of state visitors on "The Heart of The Civilized South," all bourbon is good, some just better. Though I've many fine bourbons in my bar, I never feel underserved with a Woodford. Glad to know that Bobby and you are upholding the tradition. vpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Woodford and 1792 are my sipping choices although Bob is a die hard Makers fan. However he is a Campbell so he buys Very Old Barton for general consumption--it's cheaper! My bottle of Pappy was a gift and way out of my league for common use. One of several good "sipping" bourbons. Jo

    ReplyDelete