Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Robert

I was lucky enough to grow up in a very close-knit family.  My father and his brother were only 11 months apart in age and had been raised, virtually, as twins.  They were incredibly close.  When I was young they lived on the same street in town and were in business together.  Naturally, we were in and out of our Uncle's house about as much as we were ours.  They had two boys and a girl, daddy had two girls.  Our ages stair stepped down with a year or two between.  I fell between the two boys. 

I grew up following the older brother everywhere I could and plotting mischief with the younger brother, Robert.  He was the baby of the clan.  A sweet, chubby child who, as my aunt proclaimed, was her one experiment with the rhythm method of birth control.  (It took me about 20 years to figure out what that meant!) 

Robert took after his father's father, in that he grew and grew.  Pawpaw was 6'6"  in an age when a tall man was 6'.  Robert passed him up and achieved 6'9" in his prime.  Unfortunately, a mild case of polio as a child left him unable to comfortably support his large size.  While he could walk very well, any type of extreme exercise left him in pain.  The basketball coach almost wept.

He could have been a brat.  Bigger than all his school mates, teased and ridiculed as only kids can, he nevertheless remained a sweet tempered, gentle natured child.  Over the years he developed a penetrating intellect and a wicked sense of humor.  He loved people and people loved him back.  That didn't keep him from poking fun and taking more than a few down from their high horse. 

Robert loved trying new things and following new ideas.  This took him down some strange roads but also produced some beautiful things.  He became interested in art and painted some exquisite figurines, paintings, and other objects.  A pair of lovely, Thai dancers are the pride of my dining room right now.  He sang beautifully and played several instruments.  Always a good cook and a gourmand, he decided to become a chef.  He attended school and educated us all on the finer points of eating well.  His inquiring mind took him down the path of alternative medicines.  He became a well-known expert on herbal medicines.  He was always willing to think outside of the box and explore new possibilities.

His adulthood took him far from home but he never forgot about his home town.  He delighted in coming "home" and seeing what everyone was doing.  A considerate, caring man he donated countless hours to the less fortunate--something he never spoke about.  However, almost any other subject was fair game.  His quick wit and penetrating intellect kept us all on our toes.

I always thought of myself as a pretty sharp conversationalist.  Robert, however, could reduce me to
giggles and stutters.   I can see him now, leaning down and peering into my eyes, while his danced and twinkled.  "Now, Jo.  Are you sure you want to stand by your statement?" he would ask about whatever we were deep in discussion about.  "Yes, indeed."  I would proclaim, sure that this time I was right.  He would then puncture my argument with a well placed barb that would leave us laughing and me deflated!

Robert, the world is a better place for your being in it.  You did "your own thing" regardless of what others thought, but you were always true to yourself.  We'll miss you.


No comments:

Post a Comment