Saturday, May 3, 2014

Derby Day

The first Saturday in May, we Kentuckians celebrate an extra holiday--Derby Day.  As one wag put it:  Kentucky...the only place where people party 2 weeks for a 2 minute horserace.

Derby in Kentucky only takes second place to New Year's Eve--and the parties are a lot bigger at Derby.

Even as a child I was infected by the excitement of Derby.  One of the only games I remember playing as a child.  was a board game that pitted past Triple Crown winners.  You would spin and move your horse toward the winners circle.  The horses I remember were Citation, War Admiral, Whirlaway, and Count Fleet.  You'll have to do the math to figure out my age!

Each year one of the companies that sold pipe tobacco held a contest where you name a future Derby winner.  Race horses are named with an attempt to use a reference to both sire and dam.  You have a limited number of letters and spaces, so often the names run together with no spaces.  The contest gave you a sire and dam and you had to come up with the best name. ( For example Mine That Bird, winner of the 2009 Derby was by Birdsong and Mining My Own.)  The winner became the owner of the colt---I was convinced that meant it could then live in my back yard. 

For weeks I would pester any man I knew to buy pipe tobacco so I could have another entry into the contest. (My poor dad would take up pipe smoking for the duration.)  I would spend hours mixing names and phrases to come up with the perfect combination that would win me a horse. The winner was announced at Derby time and each year my hopes of a horse of my own were dashed, by a name that was far inferior to my entries!

The question arises...have I ever been to a Derby.  No, No, NO!  Too many people.  We do try to go to the races each year on the Wednesday before Derby with a group from our community.  We were welcomed into this group about 40 years ago and it was long established then.  It's a great time to go to the races.  The track is all spiffed up for the Derby, the top jockeys and trainers are there participating in the race meet, the cameras are beginning to gather for the major news networks, but you can still get a seat and get to a window to place a bet. 

Around here the object is to either host a Derby Party or know someone who will invite you to one.  Derby Parties are a true Kentucky tradition.  I suspect they have been going on as long as the Derby!  Early May can be the absolute perfect time for a big outdoor party.  Warm weather, sparkling sunshine, grass that is too green to believe, spring flowers and the bugs aren't out yet!.  Of course, it also can rain a ton (like last year), be 40 degrees, or even, as it did one year, snow!  The stress of trying to outguess Mother Nature has brought many a hostess to her knees. 

Over the years I have hosted some memorable (for various disastrous reasons) Derby Parties.  I think I am officially retired.

Anyone need an extra guest for Derby Day--good conversationalist, able to hold her bourbon, and willing to lend a hand. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, you and Bob were invited! regards, vpg

    ReplyDelete