Monday, May 16, 2011

Escape

I'm not sure why it is, but if the weanlings are going to have some fun they will do it during the days that I am here by myself.  We have recently weaned some calves, which means we have separated the mama's and youngsters so they will learn to eat their fill without sneaking a snack from mama..  These aren't babies but more like pre-teens.  This group contains several young bulls and, like young males of any species, they will dream up trouble to get into if they are left to their own devices.

We usually place these youngsters in the lot behind the barn, which is convenient for several reasons.  One, they are close at hand to be fed morning and night.  They also are under eye to be sure none of them get sick or get pushed away from the trough and don't get enough to eat.  The downside to this arrangement is that the barn lot borders one corner of the yard.  These youngsters don't take to being shut away from their mama's and their snack bar, which means we get serenaded  with their loud and vocal complaints.  If we're lucky they settle down after a day or two and we get peace.  Unfortunately, this time weaning coincided with a warm spell just begging for open windows and fresh breezes.  The nights got a little long.

This little group had gotten bored with their captivity and cramped quarters.  For the past few days they had been playing and pushing as little bulls will.  Their lot is on a direct sight from my kitchen window so I have watched their antics as I stood at the sink.  This afternoon as I was cleaning up after lunch, I looked out in the yard and noticed all the calves standing at one place along the fence.  On closer inspection, I noticed that some of them actually were standing on the yard side of the fence.  Deciding this didn't look good I stepped out on the porch and saw for the first time that in their pushing and shoving they had completely broken through one section of the plank fence.  Why do they always do this when I'm alone?

The trick was how to get them back into the lot and from there to another lot.  With all the rain the barn lot was knee deep in churned up mud.  Not my thing.  With a little reaching I managed to open the gate from the barn lot to the next lot.  Now to get them to move without having to chase them trough the mud.  One thing I have learned over the years is that it is easier to out think a cow than try to out run it.  Deciding on deceit, I went to the barn and got a feed bucket and carried it to the fence along the lot.  They could see me moving with a bucket and followed on the other side of the fence hoping for an afternoon snack.  Soon they were through the gate and looking hopeful.  Quickly I slid and mucked through the mud to fasten the gate.  With puzzled looks they watched me pick up my bucket and return to the barn.  Poor babies.  I'd had to use an empty bucket because I couldn't get to their feed.

They are still looking hopefully at the house.  I feel like a heel.  Maybe hubby can give them an extra scoop for me tonight.  Or maybe that's just what they get for keeping me up all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment