Saturday, March 12, 2011

Duncan

There have been very few times in my life that I haven't had a dog and/or a cat. When the kids were home my pets were usually "found" pets. These were animals that were either literally found or someone gave them to us--usually with no intention on our part to acquire another pet. Over the years we have had some wonderful and loving companions.

When the last kid left home they left us with three dogs, a beagle, German Shepherd and a collie. Thank goodness we live on a farm. The years passed and the old beagle, the last of the pack died. For the first time in a long time we were pet-less (unless you count barn cats). I decided that for once in my life I would pick a dog that I wanted.

I did careful research, talked to several breeders, the president of the Ky. Kennel Club, and even went to a dog show. (That's really an experience. ) I knew I wanted a dog that would be good with the little grandkids, easy to train, tough enough to be a farm dog in all kinds of weather, and a companion for me. With this in mind I settled on one of the herding dogs, since they are bred to take care of and protect their herd (grandkids). We had had a collie before and I loved the breed but sure didn't like the constant grooming required to deal with their massive amounts of hair. One of the breeders suggested I try a Smooth Coat Collie. If you are like me you've never heard of them. However, they are simply a short haired collie.

In no time I had found the perfect dog. Not a puppy (I didn't want to deal with that!) but young enough to bond with a new family. He looks like Lassie with short hair. A little odd at first but beautiful. His name is Halcyon Day's Duncan of Aver Brae or Duncan, for short. He's perfect, other than a few small problems.

First of all, I didn't really expect to pick up a dog at a kennel and discover that he had been raised in a house. However, since I did want to be able to bring him in during really bad weather, that was a plus, since he was housebroken. What I didn't expect is that he would never want to go out unless I went with him. In fact I can't make a step he doesn't go with me. He bonded to me like glue! He has great manners, never "counter surfs" for food, he doesn't eat up things (unless you count my slippers or the occasional toy), he's not rambunctious, in fact he mostly sleeps. Of course he usually sleeps in the space you want to walk, but he's quiet! So I have an 80 lb. house dog.

He's really good with the little ones. I would totally trust him to never hurt one of them. However, he may drive them crazy. He tends to want to herd them up in the yard. He follows them around and nips at their heels and tries to get them all in one place. Nice trick if he can do it! They in turn drive him nuts trying to get him to "fetch". They throw balls and he just looks at them. You can't herd balls. Fetch just isn't in his gene pool.

However goofy he is, he is still a collie. The old Lassie shows were based on the very protective, caring nature of these dogs. About a year ago, the then 3 yr. old grandson, decided to go the field where he could see his dad on the tractor. He slipped through the gate and started trudging through the tall grass. Duncan, who never leaves the yard if I'm in the house, went with him. My son said his heart nearly stopped when he looked up and saw what the dog was trying to "herd" through the field. Duncan couldn't get the little one to go back to the house but he never left his side, either. I have no doubt that if he had felt that the little one was threatened he would have protected him with every ounce of his being. As it was, he did all he could do in staying with him until an adult was found.

You're a good dog Duncan.

No comments:

Post a Comment