Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

It's St. Patrick's day and everywhere you look people are wearing green and proclaiming to be Irish.  My grandmother was a McWhorter and I married a Campbell, so I guess I will have to stick with being mostly Scotch.  Although, being Presbyterian we probably are Scotch-Irish descendents.  However, today everyone is Irish.

For my family the fun of St. Patrick's day has always been the food.  We celebrate with an Itish feast.  I always cook a big corned beef brisket.  For hours the spicy smell of cooking corned beef waffs through tantilizing everyone who enters.  For dinner we will serve it hot with cooked cabbage, boiled potatoes and homemade soda bread.  I don't have to call everyone twice to come to the table.

Now as much as they love that meal, the real delight is in the leftovers. We love Reuben sandwiches.  I can't imagine who thought to put together the various flavors in the sandwich, but my hat's off to you;.  For anyone who doesn't know how to make a Reuben, you take two slices of dark rye bread.  Top one slice with a layer of sliced corned beef, drained sauerkraut, and a slice of Swiss cheese.  Slather the other slice with Thousand island dressing and put it on top.  Then grill the sandwich until the outside is crisp and toasty and the inside hot and the cheese has melted.  Like I said, wild ingredients, great taste!

However you celebrate the day, I hope you have a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment