Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Spring Dance

My son came in the other morning and announced that we were going to have to plant a bigger garden.  Thus begins the annual spring dance. Farmers love to plow and plant.  It's their favorite thing (at least around here).  There is something mystical about turning the good, rich soil in the warm spring air.  There is an elemental connection with putting the seeds in the ground and awaiting their emergence bringing food for the family.  It's a basic instinct to provide and care for their loved ones.  It's a connection with their Maker that is rooted deep in their souls.  Unfortunately, they don't get the same connection with a hoe that they do with a tractor and plow. 

Thus begins the annual spring dance.  My son looked at me seriously and said, "Food prices are soaring and they are going to go up by another 25% by fall.  We're going to need to put up more food to help offset the prices."  I just looked at him.  "I think we need  to plant more corn, beans, squash,potatoes, tomatoes,  and maybe we'll add some greens in the fall and some pumpkin, watermelons, and cantaloupe."  I just looked at him some more.

I started to shake my head.  "You do realize that your wife is pregnant and going to have a new baby in July.  You really don't think she is going to be picking and canning do you?"  He just looked at me.  "Wait a minute.  You don't think I'm going to do all this canning and freezing do you?"  He just looked at me some more.

"Well, I guess I will have to help some more this year.  We're going to lay the garden off so we can use the tobacco cultivator to keep the weeds out."  I just looked at him.  "That way it will be nice and neat for you to pick/"  I just glared at him.

Thus goes the spring dance.  I urge moderation.  They want bigger and better.  The problem is that I know who will be maintaining, weeding, picking, canning and freezing.  You guessed it. Me.  The men will till it once or maybe twice, then it's hay time, tobacco setting time, cattle working time, etc. and they never get back to the garden.  I begged for a year for a little tiller that I could handle, even if I did have to make three trips up and down the rows to get the job done.  Hubby went out and bought the biggest, best one he could find.  I tried it one time and took out a half a row of beans, three tomato plants and an entire squash hill before I could get it stopped.  I simply don't have the upper body strength to hold it in the rows. Since I refuse to pick in weeds over my head, that leaves me hand weeding and hoeing the garden.  Neither of which I do with any degree of grace or willingness. 

This year I think they will win.  The thought of that new little mouth to be fed (and the other three at home) will keep me from jumping in front of the tractor as  they plow the extra rows in the garden.  There really is something wonderful and uplifting about providing for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment