Monday, June 20, 2011

Dick Francis

I am an avid reader.  Ever since I learned the code that made all those funny symbols become words, I have been obsessed with reading.   My mother learned early that this was an obsession that could work in her favor.  When she was forced to drag me along on a shopping trip, the first place we stopped was the children's floor of the old Tots and Teens department store in Lexington.  There I would be allowed to pick out a new book.  At the time I was deep into the "Rick Brant, Scientific Mystery" series and that was sure to be my selection.  After that she could go anywhere and shop to her heart's content as long as I could find a place out of the way to pursue my new mystery.

I will read anything, the back of the catsup bottle, magazines, fine print on medicine, just about anything with words.  However, I have always had a fondness for mysteries.  I love trying to figure out the solution and matching wits with the hero.  Although I will read anything, except "bodice rippers" or romance novels, who tend to be long on bedroom scenes and very short on story, I find that I always gravitate back to the mystery novels.

For years my all time favorite author has been Dick Francis. He probably is the only author that I have ever collected all of his books and kept them (except maybe the Rick Brant books as a youngster).  He also is the only author that I will routinely return to and re-read.  Most of his books I have now read three, four or five times.  A new book I will read twice, immediately.  The hard part is trying to explain why his books are so readable when I never am interested in reading anything else twice., much less three or more times.  The mysteries are intriguing but not gaspingly thrilling.  There is violence but generally it is mild, involving bruising and battering but only as a last resort.  The heroes aren't heroic, but ordinary people that use their heads instead of their gun-power.  I think the key is the writing, not the story.

 Mr. Francis managed to use a simple straight forward style to tell you about ordinary people who were faced with devious problems in their every day lives.  He manages to draw you into those lives and bring you to understand the ins and outs of their careers and livelihoods as they use intelligence rather than brawn to solve the problem.  He does all of this with a quiet tongue in cheek humor that makes his characters very real.  At the same time the story moves quickly to a satisfying conclusion. 

Sadly, Mr. Francis died last year at the age of 89, while writing his latest novel.  The last four novels have been co-authored with his son who took the place of his wife as his research assistant and helper after her death.  The collaboration has been successful with another string of best-sellers.  This summer his son will continue the string of novels with a new one entirely on his own.  I hope he has studied his father's attention to detail and quiet humor.  I also hope he has his father's work ethic.

Dick Francis started working as a youngster as a steeplechase jockey, eventually rising to the position of champion jockey and jockey for the Queen Mother.  When age and injuries ended his career he became a sportswriter.  After a sterling career in that field he launched into the area of mystery novels.  He was the author of more than 40 books.  He was awarded the Edgar Award 3 times, the Crime Writers; Association Cartier Diamond Dagger award and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of American.  In 2000 he was awarded the title of Commander of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II.  Not bad for a guy who retired from two other jobs.

Good luck, Felix, in filling your father's shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment