Thursday, June 2, 2011

The New Farmer

Farming is not a science, unless you figure on the science that whatever can go wrong certainly will. 

My daughter has a new neighbor.  A lawyer from the city has bought property adjacent to them. He is so excited to be in the country and becoming a farmer.  Being the friendly, helpful people that they are, my son-in-law and daughter have become his mentors for this new adventure.  He will show up with questions on everything from crops, to soil, to fertilizer, to fencing, to equipment and back again.  My son-in-law patiently explains the ins and outs of farming and tries to guide him in the things he needs to do.  He goes home and attempts to follow the instructions and then shows up the next day with more questions. 

They have tenderly nurtured him through the fall, winter and a wet spring.  Now he is trying to get into the swing of farming in real time.  It's time to get your hay up and those of us who have lived through it know that it is a very stressful time of the year.  It sounds simple.  You cut the hay down.  Let it cure in the sun.  Rake it into winrows and then bale it.  In a perfect world it takes about 3-4 days per cutting.  However, in a perfect world it doesn't rain, equipment doesn't break down, other jobs don't interfere, and the sun always shines. 

He showed up one morning this week with a woeful expression on his face.  My daughter asked him what the problem was.  He answered with frustration, "I need to be putting up hay, planting soybeans, and fencing.  My hay baler is broken down, my planter is in the shop and my help didn't show up this morning.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow and I don't know how I'm supposed to get this all done!  I couldn't sleep last night for worrying and I am at my wits end."

 "Congratulations!  You are now a farmer!", she laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment